There are many benefits to waxing.
Waxing is a long-lasting and more convenient hair removal method. Regrowth can take anywhere from two to four weeks, and the hair changes texture, making the process much more pleasant. Areas that are repeatedly waxed over long periods of time often exhibit diminished regrowth - regrowth that is thinner, softer and lighter in color.
When hair is shaved or removed by depilatory cream, the hair is removed at the surface rather than the root. Within a few days, the hair can be seen and felt again at the surface and the hair tends to grow back in a rough stubble. When you wax, you will not experience the painful itchy feeling when your hair grows back.
Prior to waxing, preparatory tips
It’s important that you moisturize (we suggest coconut oil) the area being waxed for a couple of days before your appointment. Dry skin makes waxing more painful, so use moisturizer and have a better experience!
If you’ve been shaving, you need a minimum of 2 weeks of growth. Other places will tell you they can do it, but you’re going to end up with stubble.
- The hair needs to be a minimum of ¼ inch, better at ½ inch, longer is fine. We will not be able to get everything if your hair is ¼ inch. We can get a lot, but not all. If your hair is on the shorter side, usually a bikini wax is the best option. Longer is better than too short.
- Pre-medicate before the procedure if you feel you need it. Any NSAID (Advil, Tylenol, Aleve) will do. Take it at least one hour prior to your appointment. Tequila shots are not recommended, seriously…it will hurt more.
- Shower before your appointment. Moisturizing prior to your appointment will make a big difference too. It’s only fair. Services often involves a certain amount of nudity and some very intimate positions. You may be asked to undress from the waist down (depending on your service) and provided a drape. You will be expected to use it and assist in the procedure in a calm and professional manner at all times.
- All your questions will be answered. After-care instructions will be provided, including what to expect. You will be advised to exfoliate, moisturize with coconut oil and use anti-bacterial cream as needed between waxing. Your skin may react in a number of different ways, there’s no way to tell for sure, but rest assured everything is manageable.
We wish we could say that you won’t break out or have any ingrown hairs ever, but it wouldn’t be true. You will have less issues than with shaving, we can promise that. There are a few things you can do to minimize post-waxing trauma. To ensure maximum comfort and benefit after the treatment, it is important to follow the steps below at home:
- Avoid applying heat to the waxed area for 12 to 24 hours. This includes really hot baths, sauna, and steam. Also avoid pools, hot tubs, oceans or rivers/lakes.
- Avoid activities that would introduce a lot of bacteria to the area (sweating, exercise, sex) for 24 hours.
Use recommended aftercare product for waxed area following the treatment and one to two times a day if breakouts occur.
- Avoid sun exposure for 12 to 24 hours. This includes any strong ultraviolet (UV) light exposure or tanning bed treatments.
- Avoid applying highly fragrant products to the waxed area. This includes perfume, scented body lotions, antiperspirants, tanning accelerators, cosmetics or feminine hygiene sprays. Only use professional after-care products, recommended to you by us.
- If you are prone to ingrown hairs or want to avoid them, exfoliate and moisturize waxed area to avoid future problems.
- Avoid applying high SPF sun blocks to the waxed area for 12-24 hours after the waxing service. Sunscreen chemicals can be irritating to the newly waxed skin. This includes self-tanning products and tan accelerators.
- Any pinking and tenderness of the skin should disappear within 8 to 12 hours after the waxing treatment. Slight pinking and tenderness is normal, and indicates that the hair was removed from the root rather than superficially broken off, as it would be in shaving. This is the reason that professional waxing is so much more effective.
For best results, repeat your professional waxing every 4 to 6 weeks depending on the area and your individual hair growth rate. It’s best to wax consistently, at the same time interval. This trains the growth cycle and gives you the best results. It also makes waxing less painful. Most issues get better after your skin and hair follicles get used to being waxed… consistency is the key!
If you have any questions about your waxing service or after-care at home, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Have more questions? Check out our FAQ page.